It’s never easy sorting through a year’s worth of gun stories, but we did, and the result is a video so long we had to post it in two parts. Part one includes info from our special guest and my shooting buddy John Barnott, Manatee County’s Building and Development Services director, on the upcoming Roger “Sparky” Hill Family Fun Shoot.
In Part Two, John helps Mike Young and me count down the Top 10 stories.
The list includes a mix of local, regional, statewide and national stories, all of which impacted southwest Florida’s gun community.
Before we get to the Top 10, here are some honorable mentions:
- We out a Bloomberg group for sponsors anti-gun training for journalists. This story went national, after it was brought to my attention by a newsroom colleague. The thought of an anti-gun group teaching journalists anything raised issues of bias and objectivity, especially when it was revealed that the group would cover travel costs.
- The Growth of our shooting community MGR, MGT, Shooters Tampa Bay, Well Armed Woman and more. Calling any one of these fine organizations a “Facebook group” is a serious error. They have thousands of members, who have donated thousands of dollars to charities across the region. They’re a community — an incredibly caring and righteous group of people. I am so proud of my associations with these groups.
- Mike Lang and I spent a day shooting and fishing with Roland Martin and Bill McGuire. Obviously, this was one of the best days we’ve had as journalists.
- The Gun Writer TV was launched!
Here’s the Top 10 gun-related stories for 2015:
8. Problems at Knights Trail Pistol/Rifle Range included: Sarasota County Parks officials violated Florida preemption statute, an RSO was forced out for misbehavior, Parks officials want to install baffles on the range, cost for the baffles could exceed $1.1 million.
2. (National) Guns and ammo sales surge due to administration’s anti-gun efforts, rumors about scarcity and bans, shifting public opinion about guns, concerns about terrorism.
Enjoy the videos, and please join us at the upcoming Roger “Sparky” Hill Family Fun Shoot!
Mike and Lee