On arming teachers

I recently had lunch with a public school teacher and her husband, who’s a close friend.

The lunch was at their invitation. They had some questions.

Journalism Rule No. 1: Never turn down a free meal.

They’re not people of the gun, but they’re not anti-gun or opposed to firearms in any way. Guns, quite simply, are not their thing.

After watching the events unfold in Parkland, and the horrific response by the cowardly SRO, the teacher decided to take matters into her own hands.

To sum, she wants the ability to defend her students.

Her plan is simple: She wants to take a basic pistol class and obtain her concealed-carry license. She wants to buy a handgun — probably a Glock 19 — as well as a bio-metric pistol safe.

If approved by her school’s administrators, she wants to mount the safe securely in her classroom. She does not intend to carry the pistol concealed within the school.

Then, if there’s ever an active shooter at her school — God forbid — she plans to bolt her classroom door, retrieve her pistol, gather her students together and shoot any bastard who comes through her door with evil intent.

Simple, right?

She has no illusions about her abilities.

She knows she’ll never be capable of hunting down an active shooter. She’s aware of the perils involved with this — especially misidentification by law enforcement.  Yet she’s never, ever going to allow anyone to harm her students — period.

In my humble opinion, this is exactly what “armed teachers” is all about.

It should be voluntary, and we should never expect teachers to operate as some type of quick reaction force for the school.

Room clearing and other Close Quarters Battle techniques are best left to the pros, especially inside a school full of children.

The skills needed for that type of hostage-rescue shooting — the ultimate in precision shooting — take years to master and near-constant practice. Yet an armed teacher inside the confines of their classroom, tactically, has a good chance of winning, especially if they’re taught how to shoot from cover.

After lunch, we talked about the need for additional firearms training — continuous training. And we discussed the mindset needed to win a gunfight, specifically, the ability to put your sights on another human being and press the trigger multiple times until the threat is neutralized.

That, thankfully, she already has.

“I could do it,” she said. “No one is ever going to harm my kids.”

Share.

About Author

Lee Williams can’t remember a time in his life when he wasn’t shooting. Before becoming a journalist, Lee served in the Army and worked as a police officer. He’s earned more than a dozen journalism awards as a reporter, and three medals of valor as a cop. He is an NRA-certified law enforcement firearms instructor, an avid tactical shooter and a training junkie. When he’s not busy as a senior investigative reporter, he is usually shooting his AKs, XDs and CZs. If you don’t run into him at a local gun range, you can reach him at 941.284.8553, by email, or by regular mail to 1777 Main St., Sarasota, FL 34236. You can follow him on Twitter: @HT_GunWriter and on Facebook @The Gun Writer.

1 Comment

  1. Sounds like a mentally stable teacher. Listening to Mark right now [ delayed on KQAM ] and he reports that 29% of teachers are not suicidal or otherwise defective. The other 71% of Michigan teachers are either suicidal or at least dictators who feel they have the power to kill the 29% they want disarmed.
    My opinion, the GLOCK 43 or a RUGER revolver or auto pistol should be carried in a proper holster because a teacher may bot be at their desk and they have no way to know exactly where and when the need may appear.
    Handguns are more difficult to learn and to master, their primary value is they can be carried all day, every day.
    But classroom teachers need a desk that is bulletproof so it can provide real cover for the teacher defending the classroom with the ideal firearm. Easy to use, accurate and easy to learn.
    That firearm is an AR SBR with a 12″ barrel and a noise suppressor and probably with an EOTech holographic sight and BUIS. A 30 round magazine and caliber of AAC 300 Blackout using subsonic ammunition.
    A Kevlar curtain room divider that can be closed to shield the students from shots fired by an attacker.
    Why an AR for the teacher? Because so far only lone crazy people have attacked American schools. But in Russia and other countries, terrorists from three to a dozen or more have attacked schools and hotels. An AR with 30 round magazines will provide more protection than handgun.

Leave A Reply